M4A1: Finding, Evaluating, and Citing Sources
For this assignment we are going to expand on our Module 2 assignment, but using a topic related to the research paper you will have due in Module 12
M4A1: Finding, Evaluating, and Citing Sources
For this assignment we are going to expand on our Module 2 assignment, but using a topic related to the research paper you will have due in Module 12. This research paper will involve researching use of social media applications in health care.
This assignment builds on what we learned about doing a literature search in Module 2. We will build on that knowledge to take the next steps toward compiling a literature review, using this week’s three newly located articles, and properly cite the source, critically evaluate each source, as well as synthesize what we learn from the articles.
To begin this assignment, first review the Excelsior Library Tutorials, as well as your APA: The Easy Way text:
In this assignment you will search the Excelsior Library for three (3) peer reviewed articles using a topic related to use of social media in health care. Once you have located your three new articles, you will summarize them, and then properly cite each article as if you were including it in a research paper.
Below is a list of categories that you may consider for your research. Please select a social media application from Column A and then select an issue from Column B. This will be your topic for research. For example, if you are interested in use of Twitter and have an interest in supports for breast cancer survivors, you can select Twitter from Column A, breast cancer from Column B, and community support from Column C and search for 3 articles.
Column A: Choose ONE social Media Application
Column B: Choose ONE health Care Issue of Interest or Disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Dental care
- Specific type of cancer
- Other issue or chronic condition of your choosing
Column C: Choose ONE Use of Social Media Strategy
- Community support
- Health education
- Fitness tracking
- Medical monitoring
- Marketing of organization/service
The instructions for the assignment are as follows:
- After reviewing the Excelsior Library Tutorials and your APA text, begin your research and identify three (3) peer reviewed articles about your chosen social media and health care topic. Your choice from Columns A, B, and C will be your search terms in your Advanced Search in the Excelsior Library Databases. All three articles are on the same topic. You will use this topic for your Module 12 research paper on Social Media.
- Structure your paper in the following way in one Word document:
- Create an APA formatted title page.
- For each of the three articles, include the following information (in the order presented).
- Topic Selected: A short paragraph identifying the social media application and health issue you selected.
- Citation: The citation for the article in APA 6th edition formatting, with direct permalink from the library (permanent hyperlink). This link (Links to an external site.)will show you how to locate and create permalinks.
- Summary: A comprehensive summary of the article using your own words in third person voice (for example: avoid use of pronouns such as I, me, you). This should be approximately 2-3 paragraphs double spaced.
- Credibility of Article: Applying the criteria in the University of California Berkeley Resource Guide (Links to an external site.), explain in one paragraph how you assessed the credibility of the resource.
- On a separate, additional page, but within the same Word document, in 2-3 paragraphs discuss what you learned from the three articles you researched.
- What specific takeaways related to the use of social media in health care?
- How might the information apply to a health organization, particularly in terms of advantages or cautions?
- References: Create an APA formatted reference page.
- Spell and grammar check your work.
- PLEASE NOTE: All four pages for this assignment, plus your title and reference page, should be included in one document.
Completion of this assignment assesses the following outcomes:
- CO5: Produce various forms of professional communication including emails, memos, executive summaries, and reports for diverse audiences.
- CO8: Research and write a paper that uses audience-appropriate content, is well organized, and correctly applies writing mechanics. (General Education Outcome)
- BHS PO1: Identify and evaluate evidence to guide decision making.
- BHC PO5: Use evidence-based practice to guide decision making and promote quality in health care settings.