Stan and Ben are in partnership, sharing profits and losses in the ratio of their capital account balances at the beginning of the financial year.
On 30 June 2019, Stan deposited an additional R150 000 into the partnerships bank account. The introduction of Stan's capital has been correctly recorded.
The following is an extract of relevant accounts from the trial balance at financial year end 31 December 2019:
Capital - Stan 450 000
Capital - Ben 300 000
Current account - Stan at 1 January 2019 - credit balance 37 500
Current account - Ben at 1 January 2019 - debit balance 12 000
Drawings - Stan 48 450
Drawings - Ben 32 250
Profit for the year 937 500
Turnover/sales for the year 1 800 000
The partnership agreement provided for the following:
· Interest on capital to be allowed at 10% per year.
· Interest to be provided at 12% per year on current account balances at the beginning of the year.
· Interest on drawings to be charged at 12% per year on daily balances. This was calculated as follows: Stan - R3 825; and Ben - R2 775.
· Salaries to be allowed as follows: Stan - R22 500 per month; and Ben R15 000 per month.
· Stan is to be allowed a commission equal to 5% of turnover for the year.
· Ben is to be allowed a bonus equal to 7.5% of the net profit after allowing for interest on capital.
· The remaining profits are to be shared in the ratio of the partner's capital accounts at the beginning of the year.
Prepare the following ledger accounts for the year ended 31 December 2019:
4.1 Appropriation account
4.2 Current account - Ben